Monday, January 13, 2014

Vacation in Barbados!

Welcome back, I traveled all the way to Barbados to bring you a special edition of #TimelapseTuesday this week so enjoy!



Settings
Too many rum punches were consumed to remember the settings.  All timelapses were taken either using a GoPro Hero3 Black Edition or a Nikon d5100 with Nikkor 18-55mm or Sigma 10-22mm.

Technique
It was so nice to finally be in beautiful weather while using my cameras, not having to sit in a warm car while my camera freezes almost seems foreign to me.  I did run into one big problem, at the end of the second day I was removing my Nikon camera from a mini tripod and the quarter inch tripod screw became stuck in the bottom of my camera.  After asking tons of people in our villa I was unable to find any tool that could help remove the stripped screw.  This significantly limited how I could use the camera but definitely didnt stop me.  Since Wisconsin in the wintertime is lacking moving water I felt that Barbados would be a perfect opportunity to work on blurring water.  During the day this can be very complicated.

To blur water you must keep the shutter open for multiple seconds, however if kept the shutter open for say 4 seconds midday your camera takes in too much light and will return a completely white picture.  Fixing this problem requires multiple Neutral Density, or ND, filters.  These filters are essentially sunglasses for your camera, they block sunlight or lots of sunlight as you stack them on top of each other.  The more sunlight I blocked the longer I could keep the shutter open.

Thoughts and What's Next?
The first thought that comes to mind is, when can I go back to Barbados?  Regardless of when I can find time to go back there I came away from that trip with tons of amazing memories and what seems like endless amounts of pictures, timelapses, and video.  I also finally had a chance to just mess around with my camera for extended periods of time.  Being able to setup and start a timelapse then go snorkel, lay in the sun, feed the monkeys, or play Spikeball made the failed timelapses much less painful.  The truth is the main ingredient to progressing is failure.  If you are never failing then you aren't pushing yourself enough to try new things, new settings, or new ideas.

I have one timelapse from Barbados that I left out of the video from above because as stated in previous posts I'm learning how to process videos shot in aperture priority mode.  The goal is to remove the flicker caused by the shooting mode and the start to end of a timelapse should all be properly exposed.  Learning LRTimelapse hasn't been easy so I plan to turn my focus to processing the timelapse.  Thanks for reading and hope you enjoyed the trip in motion, I will leave you with my favorite shot of the trip when a monkey played with our GoPro and took a selfie!



Still balding but not bald,
-Kyle


No comments:

Post a Comment